Gardening is a great way to unwind after a stressful day, and it’s also very beneficial to the body. To garden and till your soil, you need a plot of land, of course. One question remains, how to grow flowers, fruits, and vegetables when you have a small balcony. The good news is that it is possible to grow plants without having a big garden; you only need the proper pots. In this article, we explain how to choose a suitable planter for your outdoor space.
How to choose the right flower pot?
- Choose the right size flower pot;
- Choose an outdoor pot made of materials adapted to Quebec’s weather;
- Make sure the pot matches the rest of the outdoor furniture.
Choose the right size flower pot
You don’t choose the same pot when you want to grow cherry tomatoes or mint. Take the time to do your research and see how much space each plant needs to grow correctly. A pot that is too small will not allow the roots to grow and may smother the plant. Opting for a container that is too large is not preferable either, as it increases the chances that
- The roots will rot if the soil never dries;
- The plant will wither due to too high a concentration of fertilizer.
Take into account the material the pot is made of
The temperature in Montreal changes often. We strongly advise you to choose a container that can be placed on your balcony and inside your house. In addition to being affordable, fiberglass flowerpots are resistant to temperature changes and are drop-proof. Easy to maintain, all you have to do is wipe off the dirt with a damp sponge after the summer.
Choose an outdoor planter that matches your outdoor space
Often, planters come in many different shapes and colors. Making it a challenge to choose your garden furniture and pots. If you haven’t already done so, create a color palette and a mood board. Generating a beautiful color palette that will bring your deck to life is simple using coolors.co.
Maintaining your pots and planters
While most pots and planters require minimal maintenance, you may have to do something depending on the material it is made of. Here are some practical tips based on the type of material.
- Terracotta: Fertilizers, as well as mineral salts, tend to stain terracotta garden pots. It is, therefore, necessary to soak them in water and brush them so that they regain their shine.
- Metal: After several summers, rust may appear on your metal garden pot. To remove the rust, you will have to sandblast it and, in some cases, repaint it completely.
- Wood: You will need to oil or paint your wooden planters at the end of the summer.
Design your summer at the Balconier.
We have been on a simple quest since 2013 to reinvent the art of city living. We believe, firmly, that the balcony should be treated with the same attention and designed like any other room in the house. We’ve given you a few simple tips on how to choose a suitable flowerpot. On the one hand, you will have to consider the size of the planter and the material it’s made of. On the other hand, it must complement your balcony by matching the color scheme and theme of the balcony.